Friday, March 12, 2010

What should I wear? Part 1

Hi all, I hope that good health has followed you since my last post.

Speaking of my last post I said that I would write about strategies to assist in the recovery process and minimise discomfort. After sitting down and putting together a plan for my post, I realised that there was an awful lot to write about so I have broken the topic down in to parts.

The first part will cover the most important strategy for coping with surgery and it actually starts before you even have surgery, and that is to be prepared. Preparation is the key. Doing the work now will make life easier later. Preparation is in four sections. They are mental, making sure you have the right head space. Physical, keeping healthy (all things considered). Knowledge, be sure you know exactly what you are in for. And finally, packing, what to and what not to bring.

Mentally, it is very important to be ready. If you are not mentally prepared and your thoughts are negative you can actually worsen your condition and sometimes even impose extra symptoms upon yourself that could have been avoided if you are properly prepared. Personally, I find that controlled breathing exercises and reminding myself of the long term benefits is enough, but if you feel that you need more it would be advisable to talk to a psychologist or counsellor.

Next time I will talk about the importance of maintaining good general health. Until then, stay wellJ

No comments:

Post a Comment