Thursday, February 7, 2013

New Year Update

My oh my.  It really should be not so new year update.  It feels like an eternity since I posted on my blog.  And it has been.  For various reasons I haven't done it but I am going to try and write here with a little more regularity in the future.

So, how have I been doing?  The short answer is really well.  But since I haven't posted for a while I thought I'd elaborate a little more.  Last time I left you I was still recovering from my carpel tunnel surgery and I am pleased to report that since then there has been a marked improvement in everything.  The most noticeable and best improvement is that now there is no pain what so ever.  I can sleep at night and I have nothing bothering me during the day.

My strength has not improved yet but but that is because it can take up to three months to heal properly and if I push myself there is still a little surgery pain (not nerve pain) which prohibits me from going all out.  Another plus is that the numbness in my fingers has substantially been relieved.  It is quite a liberating sensation and with this improvement and the pain gone I have been able to join the kids playing mario Kart on the Wii which we have all enjoyed.

Recovery from the HSCT has also been great.  Interestingly the best benefits I am receiving now have almost been unnoticed.  It is weird.  I go to do something and as normal people do you just do it.  However, I am then realising after the event that hey, I couldn't do that a year ago.  An example would be about a week ago I was walking down the stairs and after I arrived at the bottom I suddenly noticed how incredibly easy it was.  I didn't even use the handrail.

A more blatant milestone that I have reached is that I have started cycling.  Yes, on a real bicycle too!  No, I'm not entering the Tour de France just yet, but my balance has improved enough that I can do it.  It means I go with the kids on bike rides and I have another avenue to exercise which is great seeing as I have sore knees at the moment and that makes running difficult.  I have also returned to the pool to swim laps.  I do think that to maximise the recovery process it is important to stay fit and exercise regularly.

However, it has not all been plain sailing.  Whilst on holiday I caught a cold.  In the past I was normally able to shake a cold quite easily but this one knocked me for a six.  So I went to the doctor, got a script for some (more) antibiotics and the proceeded to spend the next three days on the couch in front of the cricket.  Fortunately, I'm better now.  Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment