Monday, April 18, 2016

Does HSCT work?

Firstly, to all my dedicated readers.  Sorry.  It has been way too long since I have posted.  I'll try to keep you more up to speed in the future.

But can you believe it has been four years since I had my life changing stem cell transplant in Chicago?  And yes! I really mean life changing.  If I have one regret it is that I don't have much video of me before my transplant so that I can compare it to now, so for the first part of this post I'll describe what I was like.

When I had my first evaluation with Dr Burt in February 2012 he asked me to stand up out of my chair without using my hands.  I did it... Just.  I had to shimmy along to the end of the chair so my centre of gravity was as directly above my feet as possible and with one mighty heave I pushed up.  Instinctively I tried to use my hands but was reminded not to but after about three seconds I was standing in a vertical position.

This was with no weights or hinderances either and I only just managed to achieve it.  Fast forward four years and after HSCT and a bit (ok a lot) of gym work I managed this:-


That is an 85 Kg deadlift and three reps to boot!  HSCT works people! HSCT works.  Stay well:)

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! For us Americans that's over 185 pounds! Wow, wow, wow! So impressed Andy! Happy for us both! My #HSCT birthday is the 26th! Woo Hoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouraging post. I'm just one month since my HSCT in Mexico and I've already had improvements. Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an encouraging post. I'm just one month since my HSCT in Mexico and I've already had improvements. Keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete