Thursday, September 9, 2010

Physio

I have seen a physio before. Every time I have a stiff neck or my muscles don't feel quite right, off I go. But this was different. The aim of the game was to improve simple tasks that I was now starting to find difficult. Such as walking.

So, what was the process? There were two main objectives, strength and balance. If both of these were improved, then tasks such as walking should be easier.

In the first session, the physio tested my muscle strength and identified muscle groups that were weak and needed work. They then gave me exercises that would strengthen those muscles.

They also tested my balance. This involved things like shutting my eyes and seeing how long I could stand still for, and pigeon stepping along an imaginary tight rope. Again, a series of exercises were developed so I could practice and improve.

During the process I did question the validity and the good that was being done, but I stayed the six week course and at the end the benefits were easy to see. Not only did I improve my results the first set of tests, I improved my walking and other skills.

So it has been worth it, and I thoroughly recommend it for anyone in a similar situation. Until next time, stay wellJ

No comments:

Post a Comment