Monday, September 7, 2020

The Judd Effect

The Judd Effect!  What is the Judd Effect?  Well, honestly I just made it up, but it is a really important problem that we need to address.  Just to inform you Rebecca Judd is an Australian model who is married to arguably one of the greatest AFL stars in the history of the game.  Recently, Rebecca Judd got a whole heap of flack.

 

In a since-deleted video, the radio host, took a swipe at Premier Daniel Andrews while plugging a product for her children from the comfort of her $7.3 million home.  If you want to read about it go here:-  

 

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/rebecca-judd-slammed-for-tone-deaf-dictator-dan-instagram-comment/news-story/6be27db42f3e89b0aebae7e563fa370d

 

What she has done is complained about the lockdown and people have whinged about her status and her lifestyle because “she has it easy”.  

 

I want to explore whether the criticism of Rebecca Judd is fair?  To start I want to start you off with a story of my own.  If you read my blog you will know I have had a variety of medical issues.  2006 was my low point but also the time I started turning it around.  One of the reasons I started turning it around was because I stared seeing a psychologist for depression.  I almost felt guilty when I explained my medical conditions and one of the reasons for this was because on at least three occasions when I had complained about my condition to friends, people had told me “Stop whinging!  Think about all the people worse off than you”. 

 

They were trying to help but they weren’t.  I felt guilty and it compounded my depression because I was bottling it up and I wasn’t talking about it.  But the psychologist told me I was perfectly valid to feel upset about my medical conditions and other people didn’t matter when it came to how I felt for me, when it came to me.

 

This was the biggest turning point for me in everything.  I had received validation for my own personal feeling.  It wasn’t fair and I finally felt justified in saying that.  Sure, there were people worse off than me but my feeling was valid, and I had every right to say so.  Once that happened, I started asking a different question.  What am I going to do about it?

 

You know what, like Rebecca Judd, I’m lucky that I do have a privileged background but I would have traded it all to be able to run.  Be able to walk without a stick for ten years.  Be the one to teach my kids how to ride a bike.

 

The question is, is what Rebecca Judd said so bad?  Every Victorian is hurting right now, and yes, some have it worse than others.  But is only the hardest hit and most effected Victorian allowed to complain.  Absolutely not!  You are all well within your right to say “This sucks.  I am bitter and resentful and that Dan Andrews is an @#$%* and a dictator and I am suffering because of it.”  If you haven’t done it, try it.  It is quite therapeutic.

 

Everyone is feeling it at the moment.  Black or white, rich or poor, male or female, gay or straight.  Sure, some are worse off than others but in that respect we are all in this together.  And give Rebecca Judd some credit.  She is playing by the rules and it is essential that everyone does or we will be in this forever.  As a last note, please don’t take this as a message to go easy on Dan Andrews.  What he has done right is superficial, what he has done wrong requires accountability.  Rebecca Judd deserves some credit for calling him out.

 

Until next time,

 

Stay well 

No comments:

Post a Comment