Friday, July 15, 2011

Back Again...

Well, last post I said I had some news, and I do. But to properly set the scene I should probably go back five years.

Five years ago was around the time I had my epic kidney surgery which left me in hospital for three weeks. Medically it was the darkest time of my life and that part of my life was like a black hole, sucking everything that was good in my life in after it.

Around that time too I felt that every time I had to see a doctor I would get bad news. I always had a stone in my kidney, my neuropathy kept getting worse, and my tremor seemed to jump around like a hyperactive goblin with a single purpose to make my life hell.

However, that was the low point. Luckily I managed to find the strength to wrestle back control of my medical conditions. DBS was a godsend, my neuropathy seems to have stableised and I have only had one bout of kidney stones in the last five years. Yes, in recent times, my doctors appointments have been relatively painless, with good news mostly, until now.

Last week I saw my urologist armed with an xray that had been taken that morning and it took about five seconds for him to deduce that I needed surgery. However, where as in the past I would have looked upon this with doom and gloom, my outlook is now much more positive.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking at this through rose coloured spectacles like it was a Hawaiian holiday, I am just much more realistic and rational about the whole process. Fact, the procedure is far more advanced than what it was five years ago. Fact, I know exactly what is going on.

In years gone by I would be totally absorbed in what could and would go wrong. This time, I still know all this, but I am much more concerned with living my life. When surgery day comes I will be ready, but not at the expense of today. I will be sure to keep you all posted.

My other bit of news is you can now follow me on twitter @shakesandstones, so you can keep right up to date with all my medical adventures as they happen. Until next time, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment