Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hospitals - done and dusted

Well, I have finished my review of the hospitals and right now I would like to use this post to explain what I think you should take into consideration if you need to go to hospital. Like I said at the start of the hospital reviews, you do have a choice.

Most doctors have a number of lists at more than one hospital, so you can go to anyone of them. In extreme cases you may even want to find a new surgeon. Just for an example, I could of had my brain surgery at the Alfred hospital, Royal Melbourne or as I chose, St Vincent's Private.

I had my kidney surgery at Epworth Eastern, but I could also of had it at Cotham or the Austin, there are also other hospitals I could use, but I haven't looked into them as I am very happy with Epworth Eastern.

So what should you look for in a hospital? The most important thing it that you are comfortable with the hospital you are going to, which includes two things. You must be confident that they can competently complete the surgery that you are in for and that you will be comfortable during your stay.

Everyone is different and everyone will have different priorities. For example, some people would prefer a big hospital where you are confident they can combat every eventuality, where as some prefer a small hospital where everything is more personal. You must differentiate between what is merely nice to have and what is a must for you.

Next time I will expand on what you should feel comfortable about when you have a hospital trip, until then, stay well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment